Music is uniquely an aural art form. The essential nature of music is abstract. Music encompasses existing sounds that are selected and shaped, new sounds created by composers and performers, and the placement of sounds in time and space. Composers, performers and listeners perceive and define these sounds as music.
New Town High School Music Program
Music is a compulsory part of Grade 7 and a popular elective in Grade 8, 9 and 10. Students learn the fundamentals of music theory and a instrumental practical program is available. All music staff are professionally trained, and continue to participate in professional or community music ensembles. These skills are passed on to our students every day.
The music department provides a wide range of extra-curricular performance ensemble opportunities. The music department promotes involvement in an eclectic range of musical styles, allowing students from a wide range of cultures and abilities to experience the joy of music through compositions, research and performance.
The following ensembles rehearse a once a week with regular performances throughout the year:
- Junior Concert Band
- Senior Concert Band
- Brass Ensemble
- Saxophone Ensemble
- Novice Band
- Junior Stage Band
- Senior Stage Band
- Rock Band
In 2018, New Town High School will introduce two new ensembles, the New Town High School Pipe Band & Drum Corp and the New Town High School New Orleans Jazz Band.
The New Town High School music mission is to provide the important skills needed in work and life:
- Communication – Collaboratively piecing together day to day class work and ensembles.
- Self Confidence – Performances in front of the class, school & in the community.
- Self-Expression – Chances to compose and perform.
- Leadership – Students are encouraged to take control of ensembles.
- Organization – Getting friends together to create.
- Teamwork – The fundamental skill in Performing Arts.
- Professionalism – Polishing performances and accepted etiquette.